As the New Year approaches, Revolution has begun some minor tweaks to our standard pricing which are reflective of changing market realities. In the spirit of transparency, we thought we’d take the time to explain the economics of electronics recycling.
To begin, let’s just get one thing out of the way: There’s no such thing as a free lunch (or a free e-waste pickup). And if it’s being presented as free, it’s because value is being captured in a way that isn’t immediately obvious.*
*Think Google and Facebook offering their services for free but selling your personal data to advertisers.
Here are some facts about electronics reuse and recycling:
- The more the better…and as devices shrink, we need more devices to make up for this “lightweighting” trend.
- We want every pickup we do to be as heavy as possible – because we get paid on weight.
- As devices get lighter we increasingly need to pick up more items to get to the same amount of weight.
- If you’re considering using someone other than Revolution because they aren’t charging for the pickup, be cautious.
- Under the Ontario Electronic Stewardship program, approved processors are paid an incentive to ensure the proper recycling of electronics. Revolution is owned by Shift Recycling, the largest OES approved processor in Ontario, and gets paid through the OES program for each pound it collects and recycles.
- THIS IS WHY CERTIFICATIONS MATTER. If a recycler isn’t OES approved, they don’t get OES support and the only way they can afford to offer “FREE” pickup services is by generating revenue in other ways, such as selling your assets to unapproved vendors – putting your data and the environment at risk, or by simply landfilling some of your stuff!
- Revolution might also charge for pickup and recycling of items that aren’t OES qualified. What does that mean? Certain products are covered under the provincial program and others aren’t. Here’s a list of what’s qualified.
The long story short is that most of Revolution’s customers send us enough weight per-pickup to warrant a free pickup and that will not change. Some of our customers may be asked to pay a small a pickup fee where they previously haven’t. NO ONE will be billed for anything without notice and an opportunity to decline the service. Obviously we hope you’ll continue to use Revolution no matter what. As the old adage goes: You get what you pay for.