There are many easy steps your company can take to reduce its environmental footprint. There are many easy steps your company can take to reduce its environmental footprint. From organizing carpools to installing motion detectors on office lighting systems to installing commercial solar panels, all you have to do is:
Start small – Few things are as satisfying as meeting a common goal. Whatever environmental program you and your co-workers start at the office, make sure the goal is attainable. The last thing you want is to demoralize your budding Green Team just as it’s coming together. Success breeds success – and reaching your initial objectives can lead to bigger and better things down the road.
Remember that simple works best – Regardless of the initiative, make it easy to participate. Keeping barriers to involvement at a minimum will ensure wider acceptance of the program, and a higher level of contribution overall.
Do your research – Before organizing an e-waste collection event, it’s always a good idea to see what a successful one looks like first. As it so happens, your community probably runs a number of them every year. With the Recycle Coach app, residents in participating communities can find out when and where their next e-waste collection event is. Plus, there is a lot of other helpful recycling information.
When it comes to properly recycling your office electronics, Revolution makes it easy to start small and simple! Here are a few tips for running your own office e-waste collection event:
Mobilize Your Colleagues
- Talk to your IT Team. Most IT departments have at least one storage room full of old gear, and this could be the purging opportunity they’ve been looking for.
- Ask your colleagues to bring in their e-waste from home. A collection event is the perfect chance to get rid of that old TV in the basement, or to empty that drawer full of cell phones.
- Hold the event over the course of a week, rather than on a single day. This ensures that those who forget about it Monday will still have a chance to bring in equipment from home during the rest of the week.
- Engage the right kind of service provider to assist with delivering containers, posters, and whatever else is needed to make your event a success.
- Only use a certified electronics recycler to handle the final disposal. You don’t want to risk having your business or personal data compromised.
- Consider adding a data destruction component to the event. Your colleagues will appreciate the security it provides, and your IT department might just be sitting on a pile of loose hard drives!
Revolution can support your event by harnessing our social media powers. We’ll talk about the good work your company is doing, and encourage others to join in. That’s a great branding opportunity for your business.
And since the toughest part of any electronic waste collection event is often the physical removal of equipment from your premises, Revolution offers a range of suitable containers to meet your company’s needs. We’ll drop them off before-hand, and pick them up after. And it doesn’t get any simpler than that.